CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

10.20.2008

My Surgery's Tomorrow

I may not post for several days. I'm having orthognathic surgery tomorrow. I have a slight underbite (about 5 mm or so), and it needs to be corrected. My jaw will be wired shut for four weeks and then held shut for two weeks after that by rubber bands.
Sounds like fun, huh?
Anyway, it's being done mainly for medical reasons (headaches, jaw and neck pain, tooth problems), but I'm looking forward to the cosmetic results as well. I'll lose some weight too, which I don't mind! Of course I'll be on a liquid diet for the entire 6 weeks. I should get my braces off in April or so.
It's been such a long process! I can't wait to smile and finally be happy with what I see in the mirror.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Maria,
I'm having my upper jaw moved forward 5mm in two months time to fix a mild underbite too. I'm mainly doing it for aesthetic reasons, but I know 5mm is such a small movement, have you noticed an improvement in the way you look?

thanks
conor

mama maria said...

Hey Conor,
I do look a bit different. Nothing major though. You will notice the difference, but 5mm is so small that other people may not think you look different.
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hi Maria, thanks for your reply. Hoping to have my mid face area filled out a small bit just, don't want to luck different as such.

My surgeon said people might ask me 'have I been away' or something similar as I'll look a bit 'fresher'.. whatever that means

best of luck.